Total Pageviews

Friday, October 14, 2011

Chicken Drumsticks with Lemon Slices and Crisy Herbs

It isn't often that I have a dud when it comes to one of Suzanne's recipes.  The recipe below, I think, would have been better with a few modifications.  But, I'm here to report the good and bad about my experiences with the Sexy Forever plan.

Chicken Drumsticks with Lemon Slices and Crispy Herbs (page 248 in Sexy Forever) plus sauteed scallions and broccoli.

First, I have to say that this recipe didn't turn out quite like Suzanne said it would, but it was still good.  In my opinion, it was a waste of good herbs because they didn't crisp up, and that made them unpleasant to eat.  The recipe calls for 3 to 5 cups of loosely packed fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, tarragon, or parsley) that you place on top of the chicken.

I added two breasts to the mix because you can only eat so many drumsticks (the recipe calls for 12).  Plus, as always, I like lots of leftovers.

Next, you drizzle the chicken with EVOO, then slice up 3 lemons and place them all over the chicken and along the sides.  Then season with salt, pepper, and 10 cloves of minced garlic.

Bake at 350 degrees for 80 minutes; turning a couple times.  When it came out, the lemons made so much juice it covered the chicken and made the herbs limp.  Nothing was crispy and we ended up throwing out the herbs.  I almost cried.

However, the chicken was very moist, but not what I was expecting.  I also think the lemons overpowered the herbs and didn't give them a chance to properly flavor the chicken.

As a personal note, I would probably try this recipe again because the chicken was extremely moist.  I would however eliminate the herbs, or place a few under the skin.  The leftovers were very moist, too.

Regarding the veggie side dish:  I sauteed the one bunch of sliced scallions and two heads of broccoli (cut into pieces) in  a couple tablespoons of EVOO for about 10-12 minutes.  Then, I seasoned them with a couple of shakes of Grill Mates by McCormick (Montreal Chicken).  Delicious and great as a leftover for lunch, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment